TheFishinGuide.com Message Boards

Home: www.CRAA.on.ca | Report a Tagged Fish
Links: Fishing Report & Hatch Chart | Weather Forecast
 NEW! Toronto Star Video - Streetsville Steelhead
Updates: Attention Anglers! New Regulations
Member Info: Join CRAA Today! | Why Join CRAA? Read This..
Fly Fishing | Steelhead Fishing | Salmon Fishing | Trout Fishing | Floatfishing | Fishing Rivers | Trout Flies
Sign-up for the CRAA Mailing List
Club News, Special Events & Volunteer Days
Enter your E-mail

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Ice Augers ?
Dwayne Parsons
Posted: December 25, 2005 09:45 pm

World Record Steel

Group: Registered Users
Member No.: 551

Hey , will be picking up an auger next this week , any suggestions are apprecaited , thanks guys , going to give it a few drifts tomorrow for some winter steel , hopefully this temps & rain has opened up some river
PMEmail Poster
Dan Heculuck
Posted: December 26, 2005 07:02 am

Silver Bullet

Member No.: 539

Hey Nfld!!

I'd like to help both you and me here. I suggest a double-offset 6 inch HT or other high quality, unless you are fishing deep water (beyond 70 feet), in which case I'd say power auger may be better.

For shallow, (i fish mostly panfish) I suggest a hand auger, as (and here's where I'm greedy, for my own personal needs)... as you will reduce noise, and spook less fish.
I've watched some big panfish book it, and be gone for the day, right past me, spooked, and no longer interested in eating, because someone fired up a P.A. right nearby...
As well, with a good, new bladed double offset handled hand auger, I can win a race with a power auger, hands down...

Well, that's all I've got.

SYOT!

TB

p.s. I would not recommend the 4-inch version, for actually fishing out of, I have a 4-inch for my sounder, but never, ever stick a line down there... (a 15 plus crappie does not fit through it without 'ramming', followed by some swearing, and maybe crying. smile.gif )

--------------------
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over the rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters"... N. Maclean.

"So let us then be up and doing
With a heart for any fate.
Still Achieving, Still Persuing,
Learn to Labour and to Wait".
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, from "A Psalm of Life, Enthusiasm".

Vote Green!, or 'none of the above'
PMEmail Poster
Kevin Janitz
Posted: December 26, 2005 10:12 am

Grey Steel

Member No.: 727

Finbore III
I've got a 6" and it cuts very fast and easy.

Had a Mora 8" and even with 2 guys it sucked!

Burt smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
Mat Tomm
Posted: December 26, 2005 10:41 am

Screaming Chromer

Member No.: 500

i use a chainsaw. husquvarna 365 special (be sure to empty out your bar oil first). makes nice holes as big as you want. noisy tho.

--------------------
My mother is a fish.
-William Faulkner
PMEmail Poster
Dwayne Parsons
Posted: December 26, 2005 04:42 pm

World Record Steel

Member No.: 551

well it turns out I got a Mora 6 inch after all for x-mas , so I'll spend some money elsewhere , or maybe I should return it if it sucks & upgrade
PMEmail Poster
Kevin Janitz
Posted: December 26, 2005 10:54 pm

Grey Steel

Member No.: 727

QUOTE (nfld drifter @ Dec 26 2005, 05:42 PM)
well it turns out I got a Mora 6 inch after all for x-mas , so I'll spend some money elsewhere , or maybe I should return it if it sucks & upgrade

I think its all in the blade shape and handle design.
The Finbore III has curved blades and an offset handle. The offset handle design forces you to just turn the handle, and prevents much of any downward pushing. This allows the blades to do all the work, and those curved blades really cut!

The Mora I had did not have an offset handle, which only allowed cranking with one hand while the other held it steady. Definately not as effective as the offset, and it had the traditional flat blades.

I would recommend switching for the Finbore III for sure.

Burt smile.gif
PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll